Legalising a Deed Poll

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) state that by legalising a document they are not confirming that its contents are correct.

If someone needs to make use of their Deed Poll document abroad it is likely that the foreign country will require the Deed Poll to be 'legalised'. This is a method by which the Foreign & Commonwealth Office confirms the authenticity of a legal document. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) are usually happy to legalise most UK document provided they bear an original signature, seal or stamp from a UK public organization or an official service provider.

How to legalise a Deed Poll

A Deed Poll document needs to be certified by a Professional local to you! a uk solicitor or notary public will be certifying that the deed poll is of being original, before it can be legalised. This involves a local to you solicitor/notary clearly stating exactly what it is that they are certifying to regarding the document. The Deed Poll must be signed in their own name than a company signature and below this they should print their name, and the name of the firm.

The signed Deed Poll should to then be sent of to the (FCO). This can be completed either by post or by visiting their public counter in Milton Keynes. They will check the signature and if it is accepted they will then attach an apostille (the legal term for the legalisation certificate) to confirm that it is genuine.

Copies of the original Deed Poll may even be legalised provided they have been certified by a UK solicitor or notary public as being true photocopies. However, if a person does choose to legalise a replica of their Deed Poll they ought to check that the foreign country will also accept a photocopy.

How much will it all cost?

The cost of having a solicitor certify your Deed Poll can vary hugely from about £5 up to £390 depending on the stature of the firm/Co. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) will then charge for their service at £30(October 2012) per document.

Contact or visit them
First to Third Floors and Part of Ground Floor Only
Northgate House First to Third Floor and Part of Ground Floor Only